Simoncelli under fire for crash

From motogp.com

The incident between Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda) and Marco Simoncelli (San Carlo Honda Gresini Team) which occurred during the MotoGP World Championship Monster Energy Grand Prix de France on Sunday, caused much talk amongst the paddock as to who was to blame for the incident and whether the ride through penalty was the correct decision.

The clash between the two Honda riders, put Pedrosa out of the race and cost him the chance to go top of the MotoGP World Standings. The Spaniard suffered a broken collarbone in the accident.

”Simoncelli overtook me, I passed him back and I had the better line," Pedrosa said. "He just came into me, releasing the brakes and I could do nothing. I leave here with a broken collarbone and he with a ride through penalty, good for him! Yet again I come out worse off. We only just recovered from the nightmare of the last operation and now I’m hurt again. It is very unfair, I don’t deserve it.”

Pedrosa's manager and former racer Alberto Puig backed up his rider.

“For a long while the fact that Simoncelli is dangerous has been talked about and I believe he really is ignorant, that he doesn’t understand anything about what’s going on," Puig said. "This guy has to be reprimanded, I hope the Security Commission does something because this isn’t the first time. He was already warned in Estoril, Lorenzo spoke with him and it seems he doesn’t take notice of anyone. For starters the manoeuvre is wrong, because Pedrosa had taken the position but he (Simoncelli) has tried to force it. Secondly, he’s made somebody crash and break a bone. This is something serious.”

Simoncelli’s manouevre was declared illegal by Race Direction and he was punished with a ride through penalty which dropped the Italian to fifth position, preventing him from a maiden rostrum finish.

“For me I haven’t done anything incorrect, so for me this is a race ‘action’ (incident)," he protested. "I saw in the video that his bike was hopping a little bit and he lost the line, he touched me, when I saw he couldn’t make the corner I picked the bike up but it was too late. He touched me on the back and he crashed. For me the punishment from Race Direction was because of all the controversy of the last few days, and from Estoril. For me if the same thing happened without me they would penalize nobody. This is my point of view.”

Valentino Rossi said Simoncelli's move was overly aggressive.

”For me, I think this time, Simoncelli was too hard, maybe it was a bit too aggressive, as Dani had no room to make anything," explained the Ducati rider. "I think it’s also a mistake because at that part of the race Simoncelli arrive strong so maybe instead of overtaking Dani under braking, he could overtake him on the next lap.”

Rossi's teammate Nicky Hayden was more measured in his view.

”I’ve had one look at it so I didn’t really get to slow it down and watch it a couple of times, so I’m not really sure," the American said. "It’s between them two, they don’t need me to weigh in on it as I’m sure everyone will have an opinion on it. Two guys racing hard, things can happen, there’s been a lot of drama this weekend, a lot of arm waving and this and that.”